Monday, April 03, 2006

COSINESS AND IT'S PLACE IN THE MODERN WORLD

Sipping a well earned pint in The Ship, a fine country hostelry frequented by local farmers and posh incomers in four wheel offroaders alike, I meditated upon my visit to Tesco's from which I was homeward bound.

Asking a fine young gentleman sporting a Tesco badge on his jacket, where I might find a bag of self-raising flour, I was directed to an isle with an overhanging sign which read, "Homebaking."

Not to put too fine a point on the subject, I cast my mind back to my schooldays where I am sure I was taught that "home" and "baking" were, in fact, two seperate words.

Anyhow, my reverie was interrupted by a chap of my acquaintence, known to the locals and myself as JJ. Dear old JJ is one of those eccentric types you see on local news programmes without whom, the world would be a sadder and indeed, poorer place. He once said tom me, "You know, some chaps will marvel at the design and technology of a well built motor car. Me, I like to see a good bull. I'll happily stand and stare at that bull for a good ten minutes before continuing about my business." Well said that man! Nice to see that some people are still in tune with the more important aspects of modern life.

Today, JJ was hungry. He perused the bar menu and licking his lips, said, "Hmm. I like the sound of this Homebaked Steak and Ale Pie!"

There's that word again. Homebaked. Homebaking. Why all this infatuation with the word "home"? Well, I hear that these days, a lot of people live in what they call "flats" which are all very convenient but don't have proper fireplaces and such. So, the use of the word "home" conjours up an image of "cosiness".

Now, we all want to be cosy and when I was a lad, cosiness was all around us. Mother's home made meat and potato pie, Val Doonican in his hand-knitted sweaters and a good, roaring coal fire to keep us warm in the depths of the bleak midwinter.

In these modern times, today's young generation know little of these things and so the big supermarket chains have thought up new words like "homebaking" to make them feel "cosy" and "homely". And yet, certain people criticise supermarkets for not being "real" shops and not supplying "natural" and "organic" produce and for destroying local shops when all they are really doing is trying to make us feel cosy.

Some people don't know when they're well off!

1 Comments:

Blogger reverberation said...

I remember the home baked Meat and Potatoe Pie! A favourite of mine and still brought up in conversation quite regularly.

8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home